Thursday, December 19, 2013

Friday Peace Vigil, Casa Grande, AZ, and surrounding area, December 20, 2013:

PEACE VIGIL
CASA GRANDE, AZ
Friday, December 20, 2013
4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
W. Kortsen Rd.. & N. Pinal Ave.

Peace Vigils are held every Friday from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. in Casa Grande from mid-December to mid-April. Come and stand for Peace! Bring a sign or a sign can be provided - and bring another peace activist. The more the merrier! Call Debbie Jordan (520-494-0437) or Tony Fasline (520-426-0070) for details.
 


THIS WEEK:

It has been several months since I’ve posted anything here. While my dear peace-loving friend Tony Fasline was enjoying his summer sojourn in northern climes, no one was standing vigil in Casa Grande to espouse peace and other worthwhile causes. During most of that time, I’ve focused my time and energy toward matters unrelated to this venue.

For a couple of months I tried to get a little more organized around our house. I have made small dents in the piles of superfluous flotsam haunting my domain, but the job is ongoing, eternal. I’ll keep chipping away at the chaos, a bit at a time, whenever I can do so.

Then there’s our long-term problem trying to find a responsible tenant to rent one of our duplex units. We absolutely adore our other tenants. They’re honest and dependable. We want them to stay as long as they enjoy the accommodations, and we try to do everything in our power to ensure they do. In the past some great tenants have occupied the now-empty apartment, but for a couple of years, people who seemed okay at first turned out to be renters from hell. We’ll keep looking though. We can’t afford not to.

While the aforementioned issues demanded too much of my energy for too many months, I recently broke through a case of writer’s block and am once again working on Two Worlds, a novel which will serve as a companion to my essay collection, The World I Imagine: A creative manual for ending poverty and building peace. My story will dramatize the gulf between a community in which the residents actively apply principles discussed in my essays to the conflict and chaos that naturally arise when people fear change. My story emphasizes the benefits of a society in which everyone respects the basic rights of every other human being.

Now that Tony is back in town and plans to continue his Friday afternoon peace vigils through mid-April, I’ll do my best to post weekly notices of his schedule here, along with these personal messages. In the meantime, I wish for a Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, and a Happy Kwanzaa and a Blessed Epiphany to all those who choose to observe either or both of those special days. I also hope that everyone is wise enough to enjoy a safe and sane New Year.

As always, I invite everyone to join me in a vow to use our blessings, skills, and talents to build a society without poverty or war in which everyone is able to enjoy at least the basic benefits of prosperity and peace.

Meanwhile, send out your positive thoughts and, for those who are believers, prayers for all the suffering souls all around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment