Thursday, June 5, 2014

Poem of Peace

The earliest version of this poem appeared in Xenomorph Magazine, a one-issue Peace magazine published in 1988, and I updated it for my essay collection, The World I Imagine: A creative manual for ending poverty and building peace. I hope this version makes clear that the only way we can experience real progress is to stop glorifying the destructiveness of war and truly honor all those who work diligently to establish a peaceful society. Only then will everyone around the world be able to enjoy the benefits of a prosperous economy.




ODE TO WAR
(Or: Peace Is Dull)
(Revised version)
by Debbie Jordan (1989)
 
Peace is dull.
War is far more exciting.
So what if war kills people?

Peace takes a lot of hard work.
Day in and day out,
nothing but sameness;
slow, dull peace.

War may be expensive,
but peace certainly isn’t profitable,
except for those privileged few
who rake in
all the profits of war.

Where are the memorials to peace
and the peacemakers?

 

PERSONAL (including INACTIVE WEB EMAIL): In recent months I haven’t posted as much on this blog as I’d hoped. I haven’t been idle though, as Jim and I have been working on several things together. We’ll soon be dealing with the last issue on our list: getting my website email up and running again. I won’t go into detail here, but when we do make progress on that task, I’ll let you know. Positive thoughts, everybody. Ple-ease. Healing Thoughts!
 
The World I Imagine: A creative manual for ending poverty and building peace and my historical mystery novel, Lion’s Pride, are available through your local bookstore. They are featured at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and most online bookstores around the world. Both are available for Kindle readers.
 

COMMENTS: The purpose of this blog is to share positive ideas for making changes that will help everyone, not just a narrow group of people. I’d love to hear more ideas for imprinting positive effects over a wide range of areas in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment