Thursday, September 13, 2012

Friday Peace Vigil, Youngstown, OH, and surrounding area:

PEACE VIGIL
YOUNGSTOWN, OH
Friday, September 14, 2012
4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Downtown on the Square (Federal Plaza E. & Wick Ave.)

Ray Nakley (330-506-1999) and Ron Dull (330-518-9881) will hold their weekly Peace Vigil this Friday, September 14, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., at the corner of Downtown on the Square (Federal Plaza E. & Wick Ave.), Youngstown, OH. They invite anyone who is interested in showing their support for ending conflict in the world to join them. Hold out positive thoughts for that!

 
This week:

We finally signed another tenant to our vacant rental house in Arizona City. That means I can finally get back to my real work again, writing about my dream of a world without poverty and war. Meanwhile, I would be remiss if I didn’t give some reasonable attention to the momentous choices ahead for the country in early November.

I’m old enough to remember a time when one could vote for the person rather than the party. Sadly, that option disappeared almost overnight when Grover Norquist gained so much power over an entire party beginning in the 1970s. I hate to make this sound political, because I really never believed in the assumed obligation so many people have to the group ethos. My driving principle is to preserve and protect the basic rights of every human being. As I wrote in my book, The World I Imagine: A creative manual for ending poverty and building peace:

" . . . conflicts are bound to occur when laws and their application deny the rights of people based on gender, age, skin color, economic class, physical or mental disabilities, or other superficial and irrelevant factors. However, putting an end to poverty would no doubt improve the tendency of people and organizations to respect every individual’s civil rights, no matter their station.

"That is why in the world I imagine, no law would conflict with the inherent rights of any person or group, and no law could be enacted that benefits any person or organization to the detriment of any other individual or group of people."

So I’m going to continue writing, no matter how much or how often, whenever I can. And as I have done for the past three decades, I will reserve my vote for Democratic candidates and continue to do so until enough people associated with the Republican Party stand up for true conservative values, which includes staying out of the private lives of free citizens.

Then I’ll consider voting for people who truly want to use the power of their office to assure that everyone enjoys an equal opportunity to partake in the fruits of prosperity and peace, regardless of the politician’s party membership.

Positive thoughts and, for those who are believers, prayers for all the suffering souls all around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment